CONFIDENCE FOR WOMEN
It goes without saying that women can bring a lot to the workplace (not that I’m biased in any way!!). And whether you’re deciding to go back into the workplace or moving your career on to the next stage, the appropriate level of confidence as a woman can make a big difference.
When considering your next options, you may have a mix of emotions, from exhilaration and excitement, to fear and anxiety.
- Do I have what it takes?
- How far has the business world moved on?
- Do I have the confidence to go for interviews or ask for career management support?
- Do I have the expertise needed?
- How do I know if I’m the right person for the role?
If you decide not to go for it, frustration and disappointment can also set in.
You may have heard the statistic that men apply for a job when they meet only 60% of the qualifications, but women apply only if they meet 100% of them. This can often be about confidence (especially fear of failure), but also a belief/bias that the qualifications were “required” by the hiring company and couldn’t be overcome with transferrable skills and experience. So the role doesn’t get applied for.
Much has also been said about Imposter Syndrome, “a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their skills, talents or accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a fraud”.
Wouldn’t it be better to go into each stage of your career with an inner confidence and understanding of your personal strengths, beliefs and stress triggers?
Confidence comes with knowing yourself and how to develop the skills and belief system to aid your progress in the workplace. But also identifying personality characteristics that make up your “reputation”. Our reputation is what we will be hired or fired on, and what determines the roles we’re offered.
Effective women executives know themselves and their natural responses, as well as how others will see them, especially when in stressful situations.
HELP IS AT HAND
Coaching is great way to enhance self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
We can provide help on:
- Understanding your strengths
- Understanding what has historically affected your confidence levels
- Understanding your emotions, stress triggers, confidence changers, biases and negative beliefs (such as fear of failure) stopping you.
- Preparing for interviews or conversations with your manager on career progress
- Identifying the values of an organisation that would make it a great place for you to work.
“I would highly recommend Karen for anyone who is looking to work through personal or professional challenges that they are currently encountering. She is incredibly personable and supportive which makes her easy to open up to and be completely honest with. She has changed the way I see and approach difficult situations thus resulting in a more positive result in a short period of time.” PN
There are various packages available:
- Tailormade – the time and duration specific to your needs
- Confidence Boost – 1-2 hours coaching, in preparation for returning to work or changing career.
- First 90 days programme – 3 x 2hr coaching sessions, one before you start, one after 45 days and one at 90 days. To help you prepare, understand challenges and review results.
If you’ve decided that your career could soar with further development of your confidence, please contact Karen at Assiem. We can offer you a free half hour Strengths, Struggles and Stressors Strategy session over the phone, in which we can identify your priorities and the best approach to help you.
FOR ARTICLES ON CONFIDENCE CLICK HERE